The study, which was carried out by Nae, analyzes the industry’s current situation and the challenges faced by businesses and public entities
The Catalonia Technology Circle (Ctecno) has presented in Barcelona the reference document on the status of ICT in Catalonia. The study, which was carried out by Nae, analyzes the industry’s current situation and the challenges faced by businesses and public entities.
The event was attended by Jordi Puigneró, Secretary of Telecommunications, Cybersecurity and Digital Society for the Government of Catalonia, Paco Rodríguez, Director of Barcelona’s Municipal Information Technology Institute, the journalist Pere Mas, and Jordi William, President of Ctecno.
Pere Mas, Jordi Puigneró, Jordi William, and Paco Rodríguez.
The conclusions listed below can be extracted from the report, which covers indicators for technological supply and demand, professional talent and digital transformation:
- Catalonia’s technological ecosystem increased its turnover by 5% in 2015. Despite this, there is a lack of understanding between supply and demand in terms of the value of products and services.
- Only 39% of the companies surveyed believe that their technological platform is ready to adapt to digital challenges.
- Less than 25% of the companies have a strategic plan in which technology is a key element.
- The digital transformation has begun, but it is generating more doubt and uncertainty than security. The rest include fostering network efforts (internally and within the industry), speed in understanding changes, promoting new profiles, regulatory adjustments, and creating an observatory.
- The challenge of talent management: the number of jobs in Catalonia’s technology industry has fallen by 6,000 positions. University enrollment levels are not rising, and academic skills are not aligned with what businesses are looking for.
- Women in ICT: only 0.9% of university enrollments are for technological fields, compared to 10% in the case of men, and there are two additional barriers: the complexity of balancing work and personal life, and also the salary gap.
Download the report: 2016 Catalonia Tech Industry Barometer [PDF, 3,3 MB]
Image: Judit Contreras / Ctecno